|Posted by Live Love Mom on June 5, 2020 at 9:15 AM|
by: Stephanie McEndree
This piece is perfect for beginners wanting to make their first dress. It's not as large as it would be for an adult, so it's a perfect way to start and it's not too much work to where you get discouraged. You need to know how to cast on, bind off, the garter stitch, the stockinette stitch and how to sew. This piece is knit flat, which is also ideal for beginners. Stockinette stitch gives this piece a thinner feel and look, and without sleeves makes it suitible for summer wear. With how loose it is and oversized, it allows the dress to be airy and doesn't let the kids be too hot in it.
Size: 6-7 years, oversized
-Size 11 single point knitting needles
-Red Heart Comfort 1000g yarn in red, 1 skein
-US size 7 crochet needle
- Cast on 50 stitches
- Knit rows 1-10 in garter stitch
- Knit in stockinette stitch until piece measures about 18 inches
- Knit next 10 rows in garter stitch. Piece should measure about 20 inches.
- Bind off, cut the yarn with the scissors 5 inches from the piece. The piece will be used to sew in shoulder strap.
- Repeat steps 1-5 with 2nd piece.
- Turn piece so that the garter stitch sides are facing outwards, and the pattern inwards.
- Sew the seams together at the shoulders, at least 4 inches from each side.
- Leaving a 4 inch hold from the shoulders for the arms, sew the sides together with a crochet needle. Tie off.
- Cut the end of the string about 5 inches from the piece. Sew in ends with a crochet needle.
- Turn the piece inside-out, and you have your finished piece.